Sunday, March 22, 2009

Soap, no I didn't make it.

A few days ago I gave in to the temptation and ordered some soap from Lime and Violets' Happy Housewife line. It didn't take long and a package was at my door. Yesterday as a matter of fact.


This is it, wrapped in black paper. I was not expecting that, its kinda cool.



Oh! She wrapped it in bubble wrap to keep it safe! Very surprised! Anticipation is killing me, I can smell my pretty soap through the packaging!



And here it is. Milk, Honey and Lavender. I love the smell of lavender. I have lavender planted all over my yard as a matter of fact.



To my surprise, Miss Violet also included a sample. Unfortunately she did not lable it, so I have no idea what kind it is. It kinda has a chocolate smell with some kind of exotic scent. I looked through her site and all I could find that looked and sounded like this was something called scorpion. I don't think that, that is what this is.

So, I have tried the sample. The second I got it wet to produce a lather in a washcloth, it completely lost its fragrance and well, smelled just like lye/lard soap. I think this is the process that she uses, so I don't really have a problem with it, but it was disappointing that the exotic fragrance didn't stay. Though I do know that she is substituting the lard with olive oil. That is the same process I used to use, so I don't understand why the scent went away in her soap.

This morning, I gave the sample soap a second try. The dried soap had its smell back, but the second I got it wet, it was back to the lard smell again. You know that smell I'm talking about, the old ivory soap had that smell. I still used it and I do feel clean, just scent free. I was bummed.

I'm hoping that the lavender soap won't do the same thing, but I have a feeling it will. For now it is in my sock drawer making my socks smell like lavender. I'll leave it there for a while I guess.

No comments: